Monday, December 26, 2011

Days Gone By: Go Caps!

My blogging skills this past year were pathetic, especially considering how many awesome things happened. Over the next few days I'll do my best to try and capture the awesomeness that was 2011, starting with my first NHL game!

In case you didn't know, DC is a ho-ckey town and I had no idea until I had the opportunity to go to a Caps (Capitals) game back in April. Here's how it went down. The Knutson's had tickets for a playoff game but they couldn't go so they offered them to me. I figured it'd be a fun thing to do seeing as the only other time I'd been to a hockey game was for a sorority date night. Worst blind date idea ever by the way . . . Before the game Karen told me everyone wears jerseys and/or Caps gear to the game. Luckily she lent me some of theirs because it was clear the second I showed up at the metro I'd stick out like a sore thumb if I'd opted to wear anything other than red!


I was able to take a few friends with me to cheer on the Caps.




We had fantastic seats, to say the least!!



The crowd was amazing! I really have no feelings about hockey, but sitting in the Verizon center with people that were so into the game was SO much fun!! In fact, it makes me want to take trips based on cities where the sports teams have intensely passionate fans . . .

The Caps won making the rest of the day that much more fun. We grabbed a bite to eat back in Arlington and the restaurant was filled with Caps fans. I swear, if you want to make friends around here all you need to do is invest in Caps jersey and wear it on game day. We chatted it up with every other person in the place! I also shared a "go Caps" moment with two guys in the self-checkout lane at 12am. It was awesome. As much as I can't stand the negative aspects of competition, I love that sports can bring out such camaraderie among complete strangers.



P.S. The Zamboni was my favorite part. < o >


No comments: