Friday, September 11, 2009

Never Forget

Eight years ago today I was in college. My alarm clock went off and I was so tired that it took a while to realize that the radio was playing. As I reached over to hit snooze I remember thinking, wow, that was a strange/scary dream and went back to sleep for 7 more minutes. When the radio went off again I saw the time and jumped out of bed (sometimes in the morning I struggle with the concept of time; it's not a good thing). I was quickly walking down the hill to the Taylor building when I saw my friend Nick walking home. He asked me if I'd heard about what happened at the World Trade Center. This is when it hit me that my dream was not a dream at all. It was shocking and everyone was affected by the news. We talked about it, we cried, we prayed in classes we didn't normally pray in, and we were glued to the tv. This was the kind of thing that you learned about in history class, not something you lived though. It's something I will never forget and that instilled in me a great sense of patriotism that I try my best to keep present in my life even when it's not July 4th or September 11th.

A friend posted a link to this video, done by the church, entitled "Finding Hope" on facebook and I thought I'd pass it along to you.

No comments: