Monday, August 9, 2010

Wade In The Water

As part of my carpe diem'd week last month my friend Kendra and I went to the beach at Sandy Point State Park in Annapolis, Maryland. We swam in the Chesapeake and worked on our tans . . . or in my case, burn. Oops. It was decent weather after the streak of 100's we'd had, but I tell you what, I've never walked on sand as hot as that. The water was perfect though! We bobbed around for an hour or so in the water, hung out on the beach until we decided we were sufficiently dry, grabbed a gelati and headed to our hotel. Why a hotel? I'll get to that in a second. First, our view:


We needed a room so we could shower before going to a concert! I'll wait a minute while you recover from your shock . . .

Greg Holden and Katie Costello performed at Night Cat in Easton, MD, about 45 minutes or so from Annapolis. Like I could miss that! And since I had the time (and so did Kendra) we decided to make an event of it. My friend Julie joined us after the beach to go to the show.

Unfortunately we got there close to on time. I say unfortunate because the opener was terrible. I've seen several bad openers and this among the worst. Every time she finished a song she would kick up her heel, tilt her head to the side, and giggle. Her lyrics were beyond cheesy, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if she wrote them in junior high. Her last song had some potential . . . then again, maybe I thought it was decent because it meant her set was over.

Contrast her with the beautiful and brilliant Katie Costello. This woman is incredibly talented. Not only does she know how to craft a song but she also has such charming stage presence that you can't help but love her.

I met Katie for the first time at Night Cat back in March when we saw Ian Axel and Greg Holden. Then later that month when I went to L.A. and San Diego I heard her perform a few songs at the Greg/Ian shows I was at. It was fun to finally see her play an entire set. She has an EP coming out later this year and a full length album next year. Can't wait!

Then came Greg. I shudder to think what would be missing from my musical life had this man not gone on tour with Ingrid Michaelson last fall. ;)

Something was up with the amp so Greg did his entire set unplugged. I loved it! And this was a great venue for that kind of performance.
What a great show! The only thing that could have possibly made the night better would have been if Ian were in the line up. Of course, I'd probably say that about any concert I go to . . .

I recorded a couple of the songs from that night. I forgot my Flip camera so the quality isn't too great. And I can only get three minutes of video at a time, so there's a bit of a break in the song. Worth it though.

There was a five year old in the audience so this is the "edited" version of one of his newer songs.


I put in a request as soon as I found out Greg was coming back to Easton. It's one of my favorites and I'd never heard live (probably because he doesn't play it live anymore). I honestly didn't think it'd happen, but I got lucky. Good thing I remembered how it started. That would have been embarrassing.


And just in case you need a little dose of Katie Costello, here's a video of one of her new songs.

1 comment:

kendralyn2003 said...

A truly fantastic day/evening, if I do say so myself. Greg's acoustic set is something that I'll remember for a long, long time. And the gelati...well, the gelati was mind-blowing. :)