Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Seize The Day

Once upon a time (July 6th to be exact) I woke up and was checking Facebook while eating breakfast. I saw a post from Greg Laswell stating that he, Cary Brothers and Harper Blynn were kicking off their tour that evening in Hoboken, NJ. Out of curiosity I google mapped how far away that was. The answer: 4 hours and 31 minutes.

The wheels in my brain started turning.

Hmm . . . If I want to see these guys, it makes more sense do it when I have the time off, rather than taking more time off to see them in Baltimore next week.

Hmm . . . I wonder how much a hotel would cost?

Hmm . . . I really love Cary Brothers and I haven't seen him live in 2+ years. I really, REALLY love Greg Laswell and I haven't seen him live in 6+ weeks. I've heard of Harper Blynn, it'd be cool to see them live.

Hmm . . . If I leave by noon I could make it in plenty of time.

Hmm . . . Where's my wallet? I'm doing this!

And thus it began - The Solo Summer Road Trip of 2010, or SSRT as I like to call it. Kidding, I've never called it that.

I decided to enter "avoid toll roads" on the GPS since I had the time and it would save me some money. In the end it didn't save me any time, but it was worth it do drive on roads like this:

Eventually I made my way to New Jersey. I felt very welcome.

After driving down one of the most confusing/annoying roads I've ever been on I made it to my hotel. I checked in, got ready for the show, and was on the road again.

Lucky me, I got to drive down that same confusing road nearly the entire way to Hoboken. As I got closer I became more nervous. It looked like I was going to drive right into New York City (yikers!) up until the last possible moment when I turned left and saw this:
Phew!

The street I drove down to get to the venue looked like an awesome place to explore. Had the temperature been under 100 degrees I may have considered it. Instead I found a parking garage near the venue and walked around Frank Sinatra Park for a few minutes.
And I talked to Sara on the phone. :)

I can't even tell you how tempting it was to stick around an extra day and go on another NYC adventure.

The show was at a place called Maxwell's. What a great little venue! Don't worry, I was the first person in the room. It was kind of awkward, but I just went with it. They have some steps to sit on along the wall, so at least I didn't have to stand the entire time. There weren't near as many people at the show as I would have expected. Either they didn't know about it or they're just plain crazy, because the show was a-ma-zing!

The evening started off with a little Harper Blynn.
They're awesome. Check out their music video that's totally kicking Katy Perry and Justin Bieber's trash on MTV.

Next up: Greg Laswell - take 9.
And it never gets old!

Yep, that's Harper Blynn again. They are the band for both Greg and Cary this tour.
This was the first show they played together and they hadn't even had time to do rehearse. You never would have known.

Cary Brothers. I love this man.
So glad he's finally touring in the US again!

Cary and I attempted 2 pics. Neither one was that great.
I stand by the first impression I had of him 2+ years ago: Nicest. Musician. Ever.

"Get me back, get me back to New York!" I thought the red, white, and blue was fun. And patriotic.

The next day on my way home I stopped by Princeton. Beautiful. I can only imagine what it looks like in the Fall.

Proof that I didn't just steal these pics off the internet . . .

I figured since I was at Princeton I should do something smart. So I played Scrabble.

There was a bit of construction on my way back to the highway and I was stuck behind this car:
I couldn't help but laugh (and snap a pic) when I saw this. I'm all for loving animals, but this is a bit much for me. But hey, it did entertain me.

Philly . . . I love how many awesome places are within a few hours of DC.


This is when I knew I was almost home! Man I love that place . . .

It was a long day and a half, but totally worth it!

I read this in an article recently and in it the guy said, "One can never feel bad knowing that they carpe'd the hell out of that diem." I whole-heartedly agree.

1 comment:

Kyra and Ben said...

Very fun. Good thing you didn't need to drive thru New York. I'd have died! That is awesome how you can see the D.C. Temple right there, I bet people wonder what the huge building is as they drive by:)