Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Elements Combined

This is probably going to come as a shock to you, but Saturday night I went to a great concert and I am now going to blog about it. :) I saw a group called Fiction Family play at the Jammin' Java in Vienna, VA. You've probably never heard of the group, but it's likely you've heard of its members. Fiction Family is part Nickel Creek (guitarist, Sean Watkins) and part Switchfoot (front man, Jon Foreman). They met a couple years back when Nickel Creek and Switchfoot were playing a show together and talked about collaborating. Lucky us they followed through and the result is amazing! Fiction Family's debut album is sure to be a favorite!

These guys are incredibly talented (check out Sean's mad skills here) and super cool (check out what Jon did for some fans here) and I had so much fun watching them on stage! It was just so apparent that these men are passionate about what they do and that the passion is why they do what they do. They played a good portion of the album along with a few of Jon's songs from his EPs, a Nickel Creek song (*sniffle, sniffle*), a couple covers and a new song. The chemistry between the audience and the artists made this a top 5 favorite show in my book!

Here are a few pictures from the night and then for those of you who want to sample Fiction Family, I'm posting the music video for their first single, When She's Near. Enjoy!


This is Jon Foreman, like I said before, he's the front-man for Switchfoot . . . You know, Dare You to Move . . . He also has four solo EPs that are fantastic. :)


This would be Sean Watkins, 1/3 of my all-time favorite group, Nickel Creek. There is nothing quite like Nickel Creek and seeing as they're "taking a break," it's nice to still be able to see them perform individually . . . even if it is a little sad.


And this is Fiction Family! I sure hope they tour again soon!



And here I am after I got home from the show with my copy of the album. Note the necklace I'm wearing. It's the first of my music inspired creations. "The Fox" is one of my favorite Nickel Creek songs and so when I saw the fox pendant I knew I had to get it. The brown things are little acorns that Spencer had drilled holes in. Kinda fun. :)

And now the video:


Fiction Family - When She's Near from ATO Records on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I love it!!! I too am of the "original" fans of Nickel Creek and they will forever be my all time favorites! I also loved Switchfoot before the world did I think, so I love the combo!!!