Thursday, January 22, 2009

Oh What A Night!

What an exciting time to be in DC! Seriously, there couldn't have been a better time to move. I've learned a lot about politics and have formed a lot of my own opinions from the various things I've seen an heard. I wasn't able to make it into the city for the Inauguration and I don't know if I would have tried, did you see how many people were there?! Instead I watched as much as two playful children would allow me to watch on TV. Don't worry though, I did party it up later at the Western States Inaugural Ball! My boss had tickets and wasn't going to use them, so I was lucky enough to get to go.

Spencer came over and we both got ready, then we took a cab into the city. There was so much traffic, but we made in just under half an hour. Thank goodness we didn't have to wait in line because it was cold outside! We got there early enough that we could have been about 5 feet from Pres. Obama when he came out, but after an hour of being pushed around, leaned on, and well, just plain annoyed we decided it wasn't worth it! We'd rather walk around and enjoy the evening than be miserable for who knows how long until the President got there. So abandoned our spot in front of the stage and wandered around the rest of the evening. We didn't see anyone super famous, but we did get to see Marc Anthony perform, in Spanish, of course. He even brought out the Mrs. for his final number . . . you should have seen the people rush to a picture! It was pretty funny.

As we were walking into the convention center we noticed a lady wearing one of the dresses we'd seen when we were out shopping. We didn't think too much of it until we kept seeing that same dress over and over and over again. Spencer eventually suggested we start counting how many of those dresses we were seeing. By the end of the night we saw 36! Now there were a few different versions, short, long, skirt, two toned, but still! It was hilarious and a great way to pass the time until the guests of honor got there. It was about 10:30 when the Bidens got there. Joe made his little speech, they danced and then left. About an hour later the Obamas made it in and he too made some remarks before dancing with his wife. I can't believe I got to be in the same room as The President of the United States to help him celebrate his Inauguration . . . It was definitely a once in a life time experience.


I walked away from the ball thinking this . . . Regardless of your political affiliations, you have to admit, it was quite the day in American history and how cool is it that we were around to witness it? Also, no matter who the president is, he only wants to improve the life of the American people. Now that doesn't mean that everyone is going to agree on how he goes about doing it, but he is still just trying to do good and I think we all should hold off on complaining until he does something to complain about. You never know, maybe President Obama will be just what this country needs. :)

You would think the night ended there. Nope. We still had to get home. It took us over two hours to get back to my house! We had to take the Metro because there were so many people and there was no way we would have got a cab. Unfortunately that's how thousands of other people felt and we ended up missing three trains! Luckily it was easy to get a cab from the metro to my place . . . at 2 am! Seriously, we were exhausted. And I may never wear heels again. Okay, that's a lie, but feet are still sore!

You didn't think I forgot the pics did you? ;)












It was insane trying to get a clear shot of The Obamas! This is the best version I have. ;)

8 comments:

browerfamily said...

how cool is that? I am glad you were able to be a part of history!

Allyson said...

You look beautiful Linds! Did Spencer do your hair? It looks really cool! And I love the dress, I think you made a wise choice, you look very fancy :) It's not 'quite' as cool as the ward prom from last year, but I guess it will do....:)

Brittany Crane said...

Linds that is crazy! How cool is that that you got to go to the biggest/fanciest party in the country. You looked Fabulous!!!! Maybe you will be in a shot in the newspaper on even better on TV. With that dress it wouldn't surprise me!!

Charisse said...

I was thinking about you all day, wondering if you would get to go to any of the fun! Wow! What an amazing experience for you!! And you look amazing too!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, you both look fantastic! What a life you live Lindsay!

Kyra and Ben said...

I have the most classy and sophisticated sister-in-law ever! You looked great, Linds. That night is definitely one for the history books.

Bree said...

Linds, that is so great you could get it on all the DC inaugural action!! You are one HOT mama!!! Hope things are great! Miss you!

megan said...

sooooo sooooooo jealous! but soooooooooooo sooooooooo happy for you! It looks like tons of fun! and a unique experience! and you look hot!! seriously. love the dress! and the hair! and yeah, makes me wanna dress up :-)