Monday, February 23, 2009

Giving Up

One of my New Year's resolutions for 2009 is to give something up each month. The idea behind it is that hopefully after the month is over I will have proven to myself that

1-I can live without something, and
2-that the thing I gave up really isn't as great as I once thought it was.

For example, in January I gave up fast food.


I had come to rely too much on the convenience of the drive-thru. I generally make the healthiest choices possible when eating fast food, but it's still not the best habit to form, so I gave it up cold turkey. It was so much easier than I thought it would be! Sure it took a little extra planning and/or effort, but I did it. If I needed something quick I would go to a grocery store (and make a healthy choice) or Subway (because I don't consider Subway "fast food"). The healthy habit has stuck and I've only been to a drive thru once since then . . . with a friend, I might add! :)

Now for my current goal. Working and living in an environment with young children pretty much guarantees that you have easy access to treats whenever the craving strikes. And that is dangerous! So this month I gave up candy and desserts.


February probably isn't the easiest month to do this, especially around the 14th, but that's one of the reasons I chose it. The other reason is because, let's be honest, 28 days is more realistic than 31! Again, it has been a lot easier than I had anticipated, but it's been incredibly difficult too, especially when making homemade truffles with Spencer and our friend, Renee. My mouth was watering like crazy! (Don't worry, there is one of each kind of truffle waiting in the freezer to be sampled in March). It is going to be hard not to let sweets creep back into my diet on a regular basis, but I really think I can do it!

I have a few ideas of what I can do, or rather not do, in the coming months . . . eating in the car, snacking throughout the day (other than designated healthy snacks of course), fried foods, and maybe, maybe even do a month where I give up chocolate in all forms (fyi, there are chocolate breakfast foods that are not considered dessert). But I'm struggling to come up with something for next month. You see, I'm planning a fantastic little road trip with my former roommate, Allyson at the end of March and I would hate to eliminate any option of edible goodness that we could enjoy between DC and Boston. I'd also hate to not meet my goal, which is why I'm having such a dilemma. I still have five more days to come up with something good . . . Suggestions are welcome! :)

P.S. Big thanks to google images! Also, sorry about the over-use of parenthesis.

2 comments:

Allyson said...

Many comments to add, 1) is it just me or does the lettuce lady look like Maryann? 2) Chocolate and fast food will have to be on the agenda when I come, in moderation of course, but at least a little! I was thinking in the form of symphony fudge, but just a thought. We're the only ones who make fudge outside of December..... :)

Mostly I admire your diligence and your self control. I want to be more like you!

megan said...

yeah, super fun post! made me want to find something to give up as well. My 2nd semester at college my roommate and I gave up chocolate for a month...it was hard at first, but got to the point where I just didn't miss it. maybe I should do that again?

what are you giving up this month? hope you write about it bc i'm interested!