Sunday, June 7, 2009

All The Pretty Little Ponies

Last weekend Spencer and I went to Chincoteague Island. It's one of two long, skinny islands, technically in Virginia, but to get there you have to drive through Maryland. Here's a little map so you can orient yourself. ;)



It was such an amazing day! We started out with a 2.5 hour trip to the island filled with mad libs, great music, and a stop at a road side fruit stand to pick up peaches, pumpkin butter, and some delicious barbecue sauce. When we got to the island we drove around a bit and saw a few wild horses and marsh deer while taking in the beauty. Then we hit the beach! The ocean was pretty much freezing, but we were brave and had fun playing in the Atlantic. We brought some delicious fruit and some goodies we bought at Eastern Market the week before to enjoy as we relaxed on the beach and worked on our tans.

One of my favorite things about going to the beach is playing in the sand, I love it! Spencer and I had fun making sand "sculptures" and digging holes. The hole digging started when I wondered if I could dig a hole deep enough for a person to stand in. Eventually curiosity got the best of me and I started to dig. The hole I dug was deep enough for my leg to stand in, but as I was digging I found the ocean. So I guess you could probably dig a hole deep enough for a person to stand in head to toe, but they'll be standing mostly in water!

As we were turning Spencer into Buddha in the sand, I looked up and saw a herd of wild horses coming up to the beach. It was so so SO cool! They were followed by several other herds. We got to see stallions fight, baby horses that couldn't have been more than 3 months old, and then we may or may not have pet them. I know the sign say not to, but how can you get that close and not!? Here are some pics for you to see how cool the experience actually was . . .

Here's me and Spencer on the beach!

Spencer did a cool face, but he destroyed it before I could get a pic of the final product.

This is my sculpture . . . It's a bird! Tell me you see it . . . Spencer couldn't.

This hole was a lot deeper than it looks!

Marsh Deer crossing the road

Wild horses! We pet wild horses! How cool is that?!?!






Mom and baby!
Spencer the horse whisperer! It never ceases to amaze me how much he knows!
Stallions fighting!
This is the first group we saw . . .

I have tons more pictures, but I'll stop now, so I don't bore you . . . :)
The whole day was so much fun! It was a great way to spend our last weekend together before Spencer took off for LA.

5 comments:

Nikki said...

I am so jealous!!!! That looks like a total scene out of a movie. You look fantastic!!!!

Grandma D said...

Your dad thought you were exagerating (sp) when you said you were petting wild horses. It looks like you had a blast!
Love ya,
MOM

Allyson said...

The most important question: do you have a picture of your foot in the atlantic?

Brittany Crane said...

Wild horses?!!!!! That's awesome. I'm glad you had such a fun trip. Too bad Spencer is leaving. I'm sad for you!

Bree said...

Wow!! What a pretty place! Glad you're having so much fun!! :)