Sunday, September 7, 2008

You are the one I've been waiting for, today!

It's about time I blogged about this, and I know you're all shocked that I've waited this long. :) I figured that i anticipation of Tuesday's big event (the release of his second full length album) I would dedicate this post to the love of my musical life, Joshua Radin. I saw Josh (don't worry, we're tight, so I can call him that) in concert for the fourth time about three and a half weeks ago, right before I moved to DC. In fact, the only reason I was in Utah half of August was so that I could go to the show (BIG thanks to the Knutson's for allowing me to push the start date back).

The concert was fabulous, as usual. I went with my favorite concert going buddy, Trent. It was his first time seeing Josh, so that was exciting. We bought our tickets on the presale so we were invited to a special meet and greet before the show. At first we were told we could go to sound check and I was eccstatic! Yet another dream come true . . . too bad they changed their minds. Then things didn't work out like they were suppose to during sound check and it ran long, so they pushed the whole thing back until after the concert. Trent and I were slightly disappointed, but we weren't going to let that get to us! We were able to sit right outside the door and hear sound check pretty clearly. And because of our sitting location all the artists, including Josh, walked right passed us.

Because we got there early we ended up being the first people in line (not and uncommon position for either of us). We're also generally the front row type, but this time when we walked in the venue we stratigically placed ourselves so we would be in good shape for Josh's final number, which he performs in the audience. (I knew this because my crazed passion for Josh drives me to look him up on youtube on a regular basis to see what new stuff he's performing). There were the standard annoying concert goers who don't care about anyone around them or act like idiots during the performance by shouting out something stupid or doing something to embarass themselves. We frequently mock these people both during and after the show for weeks to come. Anyway, the concert was phenomenal, as usual. Different from the other shows I've been to, in that he was way less personal, not so talkative. I'm sure there are a lot of factors that play into this, but mostly I think it's the audience that determines the feel of the show. He performed a good mix of new and old material . . . I think there will only be two songs on the new album that I haven't heard. I love hearing new stuff for the first time live . . . Who am I kidding I love hearing everything live!

So after the show we stuck around so we could chat it up with Josh. We again stratigically placed ourselves, this time so we would be at the end of the line and hopefully have more time with Josh. The meet and greet went as follows: Introduction, picture, move on. The people in front of us asked for an autograph and of course Josh said yes, if they had a pen. They looked around and I said I had one, Josh then looks over, smiles, and says "hey, how's it going?" Like I said, we're tight! :) Then it was officially our turn to talk to Josh and he again, smiles and asks me how I'm doing as he gives me a great big hug. I felt special! We talked for a few minutes about various things, then I asked him to sign my EP (extended play, too short to be a full length album, but too long to be considered a single). This was and EP that I paid a pretty penny for. They only made about 2,000 copies, and it'd pretty hard to get your hands on one for under $150. Don't worry, I didn't even pay half of that . . . I love the man, but I'm not rich! Anyway, he said he hadn't seen one of those in a long time. After discussing what he should write, he decided on this . . .

In case you can't see it, "Lindsie- You are the best! I love you!"

I'd say it's an upgrade . . .


All in all, it was an awesome night! I can't wait to see him again . . . Soon!

3 comments:

megan said...

yay linds! how fun is that?!?! thanks for the reminder on the release day...I bought a few of his songs on itunes awhile back...can't wait to hear the album!! wish I were as tight with josh as you are :-) it's so cool that he remembers you!

Anonymous said...

Ok so I think I am going to go to Josh. (or REALLY try to) the only stopping me right now is having a job that doesn't pay.

haha I'll explain later.

Lalis said...

I. Am. So. JEALOUS.
Really, I am...